NM Court of Appeals Schedules January 26, 2 PM Hearing
January 13, 2015 - Jen Laws
The New Mexico Court of Appeals has scheduled a hearing at the Pamela B. Minzner Law Center on Monday, January 26, 2015. The oral argument is open to the public and begins at 2:00 P.M.
A three-judge panel will preside: Judge Linda M. Vanzi (’95), Judge Timothy L. Garcia (’84), Judge J. Miles Hanisee.
Following are the details of the case:
KATHERINE MORRIS, M.D., AROOP MANGALIK, M.D., and AJA RIGGS, Plaintiffs-Appellees, represented by Laura Schauer Ives, Alexandra Freedman Smith, Kathryn Tucker, and Maureen Sanders
KARI BRANDENBURG, in her official capacity as District Attorney for Bernalillo County, New Mexico, and GARY KING, in his official capacity as Attorney General of the State of New Mexico, Defendants-Appellants, represented by Gary K. King and Scott Fuqua
Defendants-Appellants request review of the following questions:
- Does any provision of the New Mexico Constitution establish a fundamental right to the aid of a third party in the ending of one’s own life?
- Did the District Court legalize physician assisted suicide in violation of the separation of powers established by Article III, Section 1 of the New Mexico Constitution?
- Defendant-Appellants’ Brief in Chief
- Plaintiff-Appellees’ Answer Brief
- Defendant-Appellants’ Reply Brief
- Disability Rights Amici
- ALS Association NM Chapter
- NM Psychological Association
- American Medical Women’s Association, American Medical Students Association, and NM Public Health Association
- State of NM Senators, State of NM Representatives, Christian Medical and Dental Associations
For more information, contact Nora Gonzales at 505-841-4618.